THE REPORT

C O N T R I B U T O R S

Jesalyn Blount | David S. Blunk, II | David K. Geer | Justin Marshall | Isaac R. | Janine M. Surma | Ryanne Lumetta
Want to contribute as well? Or advertise? Or sponsor a project, release, or event? Email us.

CLICK TO VISIT GODCLUB.ORG

Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Don't Care about Prop 8.

Gay marriage does not matter. I have no interest in being accepted or tolerated by heterosexuals. I have no interest in partaking in a tradition that upholds a patriarchal institution that has worked to oppress queer people for as long as it has been in existence. There is nothing subversive about gay marriage, it is a waste of time and energy for the thousands of gay activists fighting for its protection. The U.S. is closer than ever before to having a national health care system that would effect not only those fortunate enough to get hitched and share benefit packages, but all the single sluts, trannies, and genderfucking deviants that have no interest in assimilating into any normative familial framework any time soon.

Please get over Proposition Eight and use the time to construct a new discourse that isn't as fucking exclusionary and ridiculously boring.

Thanks.

3 comments:

David S. Blunk, II said...

Why I Care a Little about Prop 8:

Prop 8 was kindof like a caricature of what will be happening in the future for so many more states in this country. If the biggest (and wrongly-presumed, we now know, one of the most liberal) state can't successfully oppose a ban on same-gender marriage, can we really expect it for anyone else?

Also, not that any of this affects me, or ever will: i hate the ideas of marriage almost as much as the idea of reproduction. BUT being friends with queers with kids makes me slightly sympathetic to those who romanticized this Proposition. Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships don't do enough of anything for a couple when one of them is incapacitated or dies. If i was a queer in an offical-yet-unofficially recognized partnership, I would want that protection. Especially if I had a kid.

Isaac Royale said...

I agree that protection for couples, and families, is important, I just wish that there were more of a push towards amending civil unions to be more accommodating, and not for marriage. I think that benefits and visitation rights etc need to be able to be accessed without getting married, even for straight couples...there just has to be a reasonable alternative to marriage. And I am mostly upset about prop 8 because of the discourse it is surrounded by, which is primarily focused on a politics for tolerance of gay people, which only adds to a negative sort of othering and distancing from what it is to truly be defined as a member of society.

I suppose what I mean to say is, I am sick of hearing about prop 8 because I am sick of gay marriage being the only option for queers to seek validation. I think that a fight for full familial rights is important, but I don't see it as being tied to marriage but instead a larger issue which needs to be untied from getting hitched.

Jesalyn Blount said...

So apparently, (but not surprisingly) the fallout from prop 8 has included blaming black people.

http://www.racialicious.com/2008/11/06/quoted-dan-savage-on-black-homophobia/

but, according to The Nation

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081124/kim

the reason prop 8 didn''t pass was shoddy legwork by gay activist. according to another blog

http://vivirlatino.com/2008/11/06/more-prop-8-black-and-latino-blaming.php

its really about the latent (or not so latent) racism in white gay activism.

so really, i don't think this shit will ever get passed unless white queers deal with their racist tendencies better, and frankly by the time that happens, i hope we would have moved towards focusing on queer issues like national health care.


D O N A T I O N S

Donations help support further creative releases and events. Default donation: $6.66
-----

**

T A G S / L A B E L S


D I S C L A I M E R

Any musical content posted herein is either created by the Contributors, or published solely for promotional and evaluational purposes. All questionable content will be removed immediately upon request from the Creator. Please do not threaten to sue us. We know our rights. Stupid jerks.

F O L L O W E R S